In 1865, the City of San Francisco opened a school in a rented building on the Ocean House Road (today’s Ocean Avenue) near the intersection of Junipero Serra Boulevard. Truly a remote outpost of education, the one-room Ocean House School accommodated just one teacher and from between 12 to 67 students at a time, sharing a handful of desks, arranged around one stove. For almost fifty years, mixed classes of students ranging from 2nd to 10th grade were educated at Ocean House School.
Around 1911, the school expanded slightly and became the first Paul Revere School. After the Twin Peaks Tunnel opened in 1918, the school district made plans for a large modern building, named for Commodore John Sloat, to serve the rapidly growing neighborhood. The City officially completed Commodore Sloat Elementary in 1922.
Commodore Sloat in the 1920’s
A historical perspective of our school is related via the following article which appeared in the April 19, 1922 edition of The San Francisco Call And Post:
“From a tiny shack on the sand dunes between the forest and the sea – to one of the finest school buildings in America! From a little group of children from the neighboring vegetable gardens, taught to the ‘tune of the hickory stick,’ to hundreds of youngsters from one of the finest residence sections in the city, taught by the most modern methods in education!”