Arts & Cultural Enrichment at Sloat
At Sloat, we believe that all students deserve a well-rounded curriculum and that the arts are one way to foster creativity and boost academic performance. Fitness, environmental stewardship, singing, performing, and cultural history are all part of what you can expect to find here. We are fortunate to have fabulous creative specialists who work with our students during the school day.
Our in-school program offerings include:
- Cultural Arts & History: We celebrate many cultures and histories at Commodore Sloat, including Indigenous People’s Day, Lunar New Year, African American History Month, Cinco de Mayo, Women’s History Month, and more.
- Choral Music: Weekly singing instruction for all grades, taught by Shawn Aluk.
- Dance: Kindergarteners and Second Graders are taught by Nagata Dance.
- Visual Arts: Grades 1-5 have weekly visual arts instruction with SFArtsED artists. Arts Night happens each Spring to celebrate students’ hard work and creativity.
- Theater & Movement: For 3rd and 4th graders, taught by SFArtsEd artists.
- Instrumental Music: All SFUSD Elementary Schools are allocated an optional elementary music teacher to teach violin, flute, trumpet and clarinet to 4th and 5th graders. The students are taken out of their regular classroom time for a group lesson once a week. Students rent or purchase an instrument to use for this program and a limited number of instruments are available based on financial need.
— Salvation Army SF (@SalvationArmySF) December 13, 2013